Friday, February 13, 2009

First Stop: Cincinnati, OH

The journey begins! Today I arrived in Cincinnati, where headquarters of SOTENI International is located. I was greeted by the director/volunteer coordinator/development guru/doer of everything that needs doing Randie Marsh who is hosting me in her home before I leave for Kenya. We will be spending the next few days bringing me up to speed on the work of volunteers who just finished their internships so I can pick up where they left off. I'll also be learning more about my itinerary, projects and responsibilities.

Before I actually leave, I wanted to share with all of my donors that I am STILL receiving contributions. My numbers aren't exact, but I believe I have exceeded $7,000 in donations at this point. This is a fantastic sum of money both in terms of supporting my work, and in terms of supporting SOTENI's other initiatives. For example, because my internship is well-funded, I will be able to take shuttle flights to at least one of our villages rather than waste an entire day traveling from Nairobi by road. This means more time on the ground working with people rather than sitting in a truck. Another example: this evening I learned that about $300 can completely finance a bathroom for a rural Kenyan household, which is very important from a sanitation perspective.

Your dollars are and will continue to be put to good use in Kenya. I am so grateful for your support.

No comments: