Saturday, March 7, 2009

Home!

I wanted to share a bit more about my daily life here, especially what home looks like. I think I've mentioned that I live with a host mother, 2 host sisters and a domestic servant, with the host brother in the next housing unit over. What I haven't mentioned is that all the women live in a tiny 1-bedroom concrete home, and I occupy that bedroom by myself. The other people sleep in the living room (a bed has been brought in which Shirley sleeps on, and Pauline, Bhoke and the Maid sleep on the couches). The tiny kitchen is adjacent to the living room and can comfortably accommodate only two people working. The bathroom is the only other room in the house. There is a courtyard-type space, part of which is covered, for doing laundry and sitting outside, and also houses the chicken coup. The road leading up to our house, like most roads in Kuria District, is dirt and unnamed.

Our House (the blue gate is our entrance), which is one of several units in this building.

The courtyard, early evening with clotheslines.


My bedroom with my blue mosquito net (no window screens in Kenya).


No comments: